Living in America


Ok...so I am now a permanent resident of the USA. Having moved from the snowy depths of North East England to the sunny shores of California has meant a bit of an adjustment, but (once I sort out all the self employment permits and other nonsense required here) it'll soon be business as usual. I'm almost ready to start work on some exciting new collaborative pieces, and some work I did last year is due to be published over the next few weeks. So hopefully I'll have some new artwork to share with you soon!

  
I've been super lucky to end up living on the beach, which is the perfect inspiration for my shark infested comics. I've seen a lot of pelicans and some seals, no sharks yet...but they're out there and I will find them!

At some point I'll write a long and boring blog post about the emigration process because there's not much information available and most of the forums and blogs are about Australia and Canada, and a lot of it is geared towards wealthy people or people who are getting a Visa provided by their employer. So I'll have to do something about emigrating to the USA on a budget, and all the expenses no one tells you about.

The biggest challenge for me so far has been trying to get around without a car. I've never needed to drive, everywhere I have lived has had excellent public transport and been pedestrian friendly so you could walk pretty much anywhere. It's impossible to get by without a car here, especially when you first arrive as you need to set up accounts etc. in person. Apart from that things have been great and the people here have been very welcoming.

It's been a big move, but well worth it!


Comments